Friday, April 23, 2010

Ready To Friday: I Love To Edition

Ready To Friday
So this week's rundown in a little late, but it's for reasons. Not that those reasons would mean much, seeing as a lot of the feeling would be lost in translation. But you can trust me that I've been largely enjoying life and it's wonderful. Don't worry, though, I haven't forgotten about you, the readers. You deserve to know what's going on during the week, and I'm not about to leave you out of all the culture.

So follow me quickly – before it's no longer Friday.


The Edit

These here are the specific interests and perks of the weekly adventuring. Everything from news to editorials or almost-lost files can be found below. Hopefully some of it will be recent, whereas some of it will be less so. But all of it I think is worth sharing with you; which is my gamble that you'll like it as much as I did.
  • Right off the bat, since it's apparently Earth Month or something, we're going to get down with world friendly business. Now that doesn't just mean tote bags these days, Commerce With A Conscience has you covered with a whole range of clothing and accessories with the mandate of being repurposed/recycled, fair trade, USA made or organic cotton. And unlike like this amazing plastic bottle bag, what you find there won't set you back an unreasonable sum. It's feel-good shopping.
  • Friday entertainment doesn't get much better than Hey Ashley, Whatcha Playin (HAWP), a Destructoid original surreal comedy series. And because I can't go a single week without mentioning Jason Roher's Sleep Is Death (which I will continue to do until all of you buy it), this week's episode demonstrates why you just leave everything at the door and play the game.
  • Also, if you get a chance (and you're not a regular viewer for whatever reason), check out this week's episodes of The Daily Show. I've always been a fan of Jon Stewart's (and his writers') style of satire, but it says a lot that even over a decade after he took the helm, the show is still delivering some of the best work they've ever done. Specifically noting the segments on Bernie Golberg and the South Park scandal, it's evident they have an unparalleled respect for the craft of lampooning and theater. It was down right thespian.
  • Now, while I understand that not everyone around me appreciates having the right typeface for every occasion, but for those who know the importances of a condensed in-space or a thin(ner) hairline serif, don't miss Julian Hansen's personal take on how to pick your typefaces with her comprehensive flowchart. It's terrific.
  • While most of you may never have heard of a game called Dwarf Fortress, those of you that have probably know it as an impenetrably complex game coupled with the barest of graphics to complement it first, and one of the best sources for procedurally generated stories second. While some of you may acknowledge that that may be true, most of us mere humans cannot handle the constraints of the game long enough to be a part of those great tales. Thankfully, a man, who goes by the username Nomad, has illustrated, beautifully, his firsthand experience one night in Dwarf Fortress. And unlike vanilla Dwarf Fortress, it's easy on the eyes.
  • Yesterday, Mister Mort gave us a quick glance at the kind of man designer Ralph Lauren trusts with his hair; and what a man he is. It's a shame we can't all be this lucky.
  • The tensions between Apple and Adobe continue to bubble over into the iPhone and iPad development circles. Despite that Steve Jobs has made it clear that he believes that Flash is an archaic program that needs serious revisions or to be completely thrown out in favor of HTML5, there are still holdouts at Adobe that think that Flash should have a home on Apple's products. This week, the case for designing Flash programs on the iPhone reached a fever pitch between the two companies. My suggestion? Apple and Adobe should kiss and make up by the one acquiring the other. Yes, please.
  • Oh, and don't forget to watch the new trailer for Twilight: The Saga: Moon Unseen: The Saros Cycle. Unfortunately Max Shreck was unavailable for comment.

Hearing Things

For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.
  • Last Friday I mentioned the upcoming release of LCD Soundsystem's new album. It seems James Murphy too is excited to have his latest efforts reach the ears of his fans and newcomers alike, because this week, his 2010 album, This Is Happening was uploaded to the band's website for anyone to stream freely to get a feel of what they'll be getting themselves into if they choose to purchase it for themselves on May 18th. My feelings on it are quite positive, but don't take my word for it.

    In other LCD Soundsystem news, and this is a bonus for all of you kind readers of mine, the music video for the song "Drunk Girls " hit the net this week, and it's really something else. Co-directed by Spike Jonze and the band's front man, you'd get the impression you're in for something bizarre just from the talent involved. But you're not prepared. One take, one continuous shot. One unusual feeling. Check it out.

Tumblr that Mattr

Assuming you scour the minimal blog oasis less than I do, here are my picks for the most bizarre, relevant and clever Tumblrs on the web. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
  • This week, I only have one Tumblr to share with you all. But trust me, it's a good one. The Impossible Cool is one of the classiest spots on the blogosphere for black and white portraits of the masters of style. A thousands words is quite the understatement.

English Language of the Week:

This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.

"Crows remember faces."
That's another sentence I heard this week. We're the best we've ever been at leaving things unsaid.

On Your Way Out

So that's it for this week. I'm sorry it took so long for so little payoff (at least in comparison to last week). But hopefully you found something of value in out of my various weekly muses. Even so, it's not like I'm going anywhere. Meet me back here next week; same place, same Friday.

Oh, and don't forget to feed me your thoughts on the whole Ready To Friday format. Anything you'd like to here more of, or less of. I'll try to adjust; I am doing this for you guys, after all.

I love to singa about the moona and the juna and the springa...

-stg

No comments:

Post a Comment