Friday, May 28, 2010

Ready To Friday: Working With the Master Edition



Ready To Friday


Welcome, it's Friday again! Rejoice! Summer is almost upon us in the most calendar respectful of terms, so I hope many of you are taking this opportunity to take action and impress your peers. Like this guy. And if you can't do that, do something. I'm still stuck learning my heart out in school, so if I can still find time to have a good time in my situation, you have no excuse.



The Edit

These here are the specific interests and perks of the weekly adventuring. Everything from tunes to articles or almost-lost files can be found below. Hopefully some of it will be recent, whereas some of it will be less so. But all of it I think is worth sharing with you; which is my gamble that you'll like it as much as I did.
  • GARY COLEMAN IS DEAD. GARY COLEMAN IS DEAD. DO I CARE?
  • Maybe I was the only one waiting for Mark Twain's autobiography. Well, probably not, otherwise I wouldn't be reporting on this as news. But those of you in the know might have heard that the famous man of wit decided to have his autobiography published only once 100 years have passed on his death. Which is apparently now. Yes, you should be interested.
  • The fellows over at Esquire put together this nifty little infographic showing an interesting trend in how certain countries feel towards gays in the military and the death penalty. Now the results are not entirely surprising, but what you see draws for us certain bedfellows that you might not expect. And with the recent proclamation that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" will be through by the end of this year, the graphic also shows us which single country we'll be like once that happens.
  • If any of you interested in seeing Sex and the City 2, I normally would be the one to dissuade you from doing such things with your money. But in this case, I have someone who can do that infinitely better than I could. Take note, this excellent, scathing review. Not sure if you want to check it out? Have a free sample:


    "Samantha's vagina is doing fine. She rubs yams on it, okay? She takes 48 vagina vitamins a day. It accepts unlimited male penises with the greatest of ease. Now let us never speak of it again."
    …or how about…


    "When Big suggests that they spend a couple of days a week in separate apartments (they own TWO apartments, because life is hard!), Carrie screeches, "Is this because I'm a bitch wife who nags you?" Congratulations. You have answered your own question."
    Reviews as a form of entertainment are awfully plentiful these days. Though it's unfortunate when the actual media they criticize is less entertaining than they are.
  • Patrick Boivan is one of the most gifted stop-motion masters, and general animation craftsmen, that you will ever fine uploading videos to the internet. I've made a point of suggesting his amazing work before this, but never before on a Friday. This week, Iron Baby hit his page, and I'll say what I usually say, don't pass this up, even if you're not into babies. It's splendid.
  • This week in the Gulf oil spill: the recent disaster is now the worst in US history and there are pictures to prove it. Horrible, horrible photographic evidence. So what now? Well BP is cleaning up after themselves out of pocket, but not really that well, I guess. But not all is lost, because they've actually managed to stop the leak, with the wonderfully titled "Top Kill", after the two domes, Top Hat and Hot Tap didn't work for them. Tune in next week for more oil spill madness.

Hearing Things

For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.
  • Did I ever tell you about Pomplamoose? No? Already know them? Well, in the case of either answer (or perhaps something radically different from what I've projected), it's worth mentioning that the little youtube-grown musical duo has a new song up on the web, and as much as I like their variety of covers, I'm pleased that this time we're treated to something completely original.
    I've made a point sometime before where I explained how something that can be enjoyed for both the thing it is and for the means of which it was made is my favorite kind of art. Pomplamoose seem to exemplify my thesis. Sure, sometimes the melodies are a little weak, and they don't always pick the best ranges for Nataly's voice. But the act of creating those sounds, visualized by the band's own "VideoSong" process, draws me into the piece, and I'm able to look beyond those flaws and forget about them completely for the time being. So give them a shot as well. And if at first they aren't your bag, try, try again.

Tumblr that Mattr

Assuming you scour the minimal blog oasis less than I do, here are my picks for the most bizarre, relevant and clever Tumblrs on the web. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
  • More than just a style blog? Maybe not this week. Similar to a the chap who runs Racing Like a Pro, How To Talk To Girls At Parties is something of an internet based inspiration board. Mixed with it are frequent Q&A with the dude in charge about his take on certain trends, how tight your jeans should be, and why Double Monks trump all.

English Language of the Week:

This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.
Don't expect happiness.
I normally try to avoid the more melancholy of phrases when securing the English Language of the Week, but this time, I made an exception for something that sort of straddled the line between wisdom and appropriate forewarning.

On Your Way Out

Summer is a beautiful time of year to enjoy in short bursts. I'm not sure I'm ready for 80-something degree weeks just yet (even though I've gotten some of these). My suggestion? Take some night-walks. It's a refreshing 65 degrees most nights. No sweat, no jackets. No worries. So go get out there, enjoy the summer. Have an adventure. It beats staying inside all the time, moseying about and sipping from the cup of lethargy. You'll get drunk on indolence. Or something else. So as it goes, see you next week. Same place, same Friday. -stg

No comments:

Post a Comment