Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ready To Friday: Get Your Weekend On Edition




I'm on the road again. I couldn't wait to get on the road again. I swapped cities today for more northern climates. The change is imperceptible, but it ate up most of my time. My weekend is starting a little late, so I apologize for the tardiness.

Without further delay let's get the ball rolling, or however they say that 'round these parts.




The Edit

These here are the specific interests and perks of the weekly adventuring. Everything from tunes to articles or almost-lost files can be found below. Hopefully some of it will be recent, whereas some of it will be less so. But all of it I think is worth sharing with you; which is my gamble that you'll like it as much as I did.

  • Cheers, California! I like your initiative. It's a little late in the game to be banning plastic bags for the sake of our environment, but every little bit helps. Now Ohio (I guess the other states better listen up too), get on it.
  • There isn't a way for me to preface this gaming article with enough well-meaning information to make reading further seem appealing, so I'll say as little as I can and let you sort it out. What I can say is that you're not expected to finish much of it unless you're really interested in why some video games just work, gameplay-wise, and why some don't. What else, the author, Tim Rogers, has a unique style of writing that is comprised mostly of anecdotes and esoteric analogies. I can't explain it; it just tickles the right membranes for me.
  • Oil Spill Update: Fair enough, Kevin Costner. Apparently BP wants some of your water filtering machines. 32 to be exact. From the sounds of it, they'll do some good out there in the Gulf. And any good news is good news. So Kevin Costner, we forgive you for Waterworld. We're even.
  • Confirmed! The last film in the Twilight Sugoi will be broken into two movies. Understandably a decision made to make Twilight seem as popular as Harry Potter and rake as much money up with this franchise before they don't have any more movies to make. But the only problem with this master plan is that I'll only be going to see the part where Robby chews a baby out of Kristen Stewart's belly. Or at least I would be, if it had been directed by David Cronenberg.
  • Last Saturday, the 6th, we recalled the 66th Anniversary of D-day. An odd thing to pay any reverence to, but as military actions go, it's about as worthy as they come. Though in case you didn't remember the date, The Big Picture has you covered. Their catalogue of the events through splendid photographs are really something to see, even if storming the beaches isn't really your thing.
  • Infographic Time: Some say print is dead. Probably part of that omnipotent "They"; "They" a lot of things. Well, according to this study, transformed into a beautiful graphic, most of the shared information out there on the net that's either blogged or tweeted, actually happens to come, by majority, from printed sources. How about that? What I also like about this infographic is what it shows in terms of what is being shared most frequently, from both the blogs and twitter. I'm not that surprised to see the division that's there.
  • A little shoutout to Esquire Magazine again. This time, I'd like to give credit to a brief slide-show piece they put up the other day on how men ought to age, or rather age well. Sure, I'll take issue with a couple of their conclusions (giving Modern Warfare 2 a little more credit than it deserves (you'll know what I mean when you see it)). But as a whole, I love the message behind this. It's really digging deep into real wealthy caches of experience, and the result has a lot of heart. Obviously this one is for the fellas, and I'm left wondering if there's something like this for the fairer sex.

Hearing Things

For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.

  • Surely most of you out there are familiar with Broken Bells, a little duo made up of Danger Mouse and the leading man of The Shins (maybe you've heard of them?), who put out a pretty cool album earlier this year. So I'm not here to talk that; not exactly. Instead, I submit, for your approval, the music video for a track off that recent album, The Ghost Inside. Other than being a (fairly) new piece of video goodness, it also features everyone's favorite lady, Christina Hendricks, as the beautiful android. I'm hesitating willfully to jump aboard every chance we get to see more of that red-headed star (outside of Mad Men), but as each opportunity arises, she proves her merit again and again. Well played.

Tumblr that Mattr

Assuming you scour the minimal blog oasis less than I do, here are my picks for the most bizarre, relevant and clever Tumblrs on the web. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
    Style blogs are usurped by cool blogs, as so we have This Is Not New. I hate to recommend pretty pictures for the sake of themselves, but my excuse this time is whatever you take away from this site. They've got a theme going on there, for sure. And the stuff they show off is basically an inspiration board for brilliant style. But keep in mind, dear reader, I advise you sincerely now: act with style, not in style. Make the rest of humanity look better for it.

English Language of the Week:

This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.

Tomorrow is mourning the loss of today.

Guest English Comment: submitted courtesy of Teryn Loebs, much appreciated. That's the kind of english I adore.

On Your Way Out

Not much to do about the middle of the month, I suppose. Some of us are most busy than others, but we can all appreciate a good weekend to get on every now and then. And if you can't, well….

Kill you'self.

-stg

No comments:

Post a Comment