Friday, July 23, 2010

Ready To Friday: Angry Dudes Edition





There are plenty of reasons to be pumped for this weekend. Unfortunately I can't really express them all that well right now thanks to a chronic degenerative disease I'm inflicted with - it's called fatigue. Ha Ha Ha. You're all too much, really. Though if you didn't like that, I stand by my belief that he was always better with words. Especially when it comes to words.

That said, one reason for my weekend excitement stems from the television show Mad Men starting its fourth season this Sunday. But as excited as I am for the show itself, I'm starting to get picky about all the rumbling going on building up to the date. Sometimes enough is enough.





The Edit


These here are the specific interests and perks of the weekly adventuring. Everything from tunes to articles or almost-lost files can be found below. Hopefully some of it will be recent, whereas some of it will be less so. But all of it I think is worth sharing with you; which is my gamble that you'll like it as much as I did.

  • There are a lot of things that we, as educated and reasonable people, could be doing better for ourselves. But one of the simplest, most rewarding things we should be doing is eating better food. Now I don't necessarily mean healthy food. I mean good food. If we all were snacking with that level of creativity and deliciousness, I think we would be more pleasant people in general. Just a theory.
  • You know, I'm not really certain how to feel about knowing the oil we've spilled in the Gulf is equivalent to six hours of the United State's consumption. Really, I can't pick which horrifying ramification of this information unsettles me more. Somebody wake me when it's safe to go back in the water.
  • My mother used to say, "You know you've made it once an Italian clothing company tries to illegally use your name as their brand." This is how I know that George Clooney is a famous man. But she left out the part where you take them to court and they photoshop evidence to prove your cooperation. That's no problem for George Clooney though, as he inspects the images he quips, "I don't wear long jean shorts." Atta boy. My mom taught me that one too.
  • This is Oscar material, right here. Or maybe I'm just inspired to see Tim Roth doing anything that's better than Lie to Me.
  • Example: not a inspirational story.
  • Take Ivy is back in print after decades of being a thousand dollar collectable item. Someone should buy me one. Or do yourself a favor and get one for your own.
  • This week at Comic Con, geeky individuals were treated to a number of exciting details about both obscure and mainstream fan-service. One piece of comic-related information that managed to surprise yours truly was the teaser trailer for The Goon, starring Paul Giamatti and produced by David Fincher (this David Fincher, but you may know him better for this). I don't normally get my excitebikes from a comic convention, considering my personal tastes. But this one managed to blow me away.
  • On that topic, I'm pleased to see that the folks at Comic Con dealt with the inevitable Westboro Baptist Church with their own variety of class. Though it makes me consider how irrelevant the WBC has become in the last decade or so, that their presence is consistently out-done by parody.




Hearing Things


For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.

    When I mentioned earlier that I was looking forward to the season premier of Mad Men, I meant that. And when I said that even I grow weary of the fans building it up with every day that passes between now and the 25th, I didn't mean to imply that I am immune to these sorts of things. For example, for the last day (and change), I've been using Pandora's Mad Men channel to give me musical sanctuary. Yes, they have a promotional channel, featuring music from the era of the show, over a wide variety of artists and styles. Frankly, it sounds a lot like most of my regular Pandora channels. But may you don't listen to as much Ella Fitzgerald and Vic Damone as I do. (Not yet.)




Tumblr that Mattr


Assuming you scour the minimal blog oasis less than I do, here are my picks for the most bizarre, relevant and clever Tumblrs on the web. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.

  • I'm calling off the bizarre art blogs for now. To make you beg for those again in the coming weeks, I got the great idea to feed you more of my inspiration sources, like The Always Gentleman, which is a (you guessed it) style blog for guys like me. Brainwashed yet?




On Your Way Out



I'm tired, ladies and gentlemen. I need some rest. All the productivity and stress that came with this week can't be measured in links or wit. It can be measured in the word count that has been subtracted from this Friday. Those words didn't just disappear; they're somewhere else now. Doing good deeds, you know. Trust me, I do this for a living*.

*"living" is open to interpretation. A dog with human hands could do what I do, and with more adorable expressions.

Save it.

-stg

No comments:

Post a Comment