Friday, September 3, 2010

Ready To Friday: Oh Rally Edition


It was all about art school this week.

Which for you, translates into brevity.



The Edit


These here are the specific interests and perks of the weekly adventuring. Everything from tunes to articles or almost-lost files can be found below. Hopefully some of it will be recent, whereas some of it will be less so. But all of it I think is worth sharing with you; which is my gamble that you'll like it as much as I did.

  • I was tempted to put this along with my general music suggestions, but no one looks into those anyway. And this is too good to miss. Created using HTLM 5 (that thing that's going to run Flash out of town), the Arcade Fire utilized Google Maps to make one of the coolest music videos known to modern men for their song "We Used To Wait."
  • Another drilling station blew up in Gulf this week. I'm not joking. The good news is that no one was killed and the station seems to have not been producing any oil or gas at the time of the accident. The bad news is - well - everything else.
  • Conan's new show get's a title and a date. One person is surprised. Isn't he just just the classiest motherfucker on television?
  • Speaking of things that give me faith in televised entertainment. Rolling Stone is showing off some spectacular photos from the sets of Mad Men. Yes, I'm genuinely interested in this. Very much so.
  • So the big story last weekend was all about Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally that he held at the same time and place as Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech, which claimed was merely a coincidence. Should we believe that line as Beck tells it? Well as much as I often don't believe anything he puts on the air, it also seems likely that he didn't know when the speech took place. And it's evenly possible that he wanted that date and location to later claim divine coordination.

    The latter is particularly possible given the themes of the event. Despite that it wasn't nearly as bipartisan as Beck would claim, the whole rally felt more like a sermon. I went to church for nearly 14 straight years, and to me, that rally felt like church. Though it lacked the focus and structure that I remember a church service having in my days. After watching the whole thing through and through, I couldn't really pick up what was being communicated. Every speaker claimed that they were there to help "restore honor to America", but in the same speech, they would claim that the honor had never escaped them. All the regular hypocrisies were present as well, but the fact that Martin Luther King was so often referenced felt forced and pretty damn ignorant as well. I suppose if I'm supposed to believe Beck didn't know when King held his speech, he might not also know what the man believed, outside of the fact that he had "a dream" and civil rights and junk. Though it was even better when King's niece showed up on stage and tried to convince the audience that not only do black people approve of this rally, but she's totally not a nut who might have clashed with her uncle's magnanimous nature.

    Overall, a big, teary rally was held, but it doesn't seem like anything that Beck predicted has happened. There wasn't anything particularly powerful or moving about what happened on the 28th. Other than the enormous irony of Beck's rally of white Republicans and Sharpton with his rally of black Democrats existing in the same city at the same time, but not understanding what they were doing wrong.
  • That was not brief. I grant you, Glenn Beck vs. Martin Luther King: For Skimmers.

Hearing Things


For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.

    I've already talked about Pomplamoose on here before, but that hasn't stopped me before. Largely because I don't believe you guys check back on everything I suggest as often as, say, I do. So the news is as follows: NEW VIDEO SONG. Collaboration with Ben Folds (…Well) and Nick Hornby (OHJE--!). I like it, but I might be a little biased.

Blog of Our Lives


The blogs are the blood stream of my daily internet experience. They're the bread and butter of my clicks and links. Everything I know* I learned from the sources those bloggers provide. So here, I'll provide you with those sources that I have chosen to wrangle up for your benefit. Quality may rise and fall without warning. (*What do I know?)


English Language of the Week:


This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.

When push comes to shove, I like her.
It takes longer than you should think to be able to say that like he said that.



On Your Way Out


Get out of here.



I'm sorry I love you.

-stg

No comments:

Post a Comment