Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ready To Friday: No Recourse Edition




Fuck it, I went to go see "The Social Network" last night instead of finishing this post.

I regret nothing except for the fact that the movie was sold out and I never got to see it. 

I could talk about how that bodes well for the success of a movie that I feel deserves attention (I haven't watched it, but it's David Fincher, come on) despite it not, on the surface, seeming like the kind of movie many people want to see – but I'm still reeling from how hard karma got me.




The Edit



The Essential


The Politic

  • Rolling Stone magazine will be featuring an excellent (albeit a tad jumbled) tirade against the Tea Party movement as we've familiarized ourselves with over the past two years. It's a very deep, informed piece that has more than a few moving passages inside its four internet-page length.
  • Obama doesn't like the idea of Democrats not voting. But it's hard to blame them for the enthusiasm gap when they're facing a party that has adopted anger as its platform.

The Style


The Culture


  • Since I didn't get to see "The Social Network" yet, consider this your review until I return.


Hearing Things


For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.
    I haven't really been listening to anything new lately, with the exception of that Pavement album, "Quarantine The Past" which is, by my careful analysis, a Pavement album.
    Now I know that Pavement is a revered group of indie rockers who laid the groundwork for hundreds of artists that came after them, to the point where bands even write songs about them. Their lyrics are inspired and their melodies are distinct. I admit this fully. Am I a fan? Not in the strictest of senses. But I am something of an admirer. 
    Nevertheless, maybe you'll enjoy that kind of thing. Or at the very lest, Gold Soundz is pretty hard not to like.


Blog of Our Lives


The blogs are the blood stream of my daily internet experience. They're the bread and butter of my clicks and links. Everything I know* I learned from the sources those bloggers provide. So here, I'll provide you with those sources that I have chosen to wrangle up for your benefit. Quality may rise and fall without warning. (*What do I know?)
  • It's been a while since I've plugged a style blog, so I thought I'd get that out of the way first. The fine young man who runs Eye Five Style also has a modest tumblr page that serves as an abbreviated version of his main page. And while the guy is barely older than I am, he provides some of the best style advice and inspiration in internet form.


  • Dog Judo is technically about judo dogs. But it's actually mildly amusing british speaking dogs. And while it is usually mildly amusing at best, the craft of it had me wasting a whole afternoon on these puppies. And I don't even like dogs.
  • Many is the actual title of an especially lovely photography blog curated by a long list of talented artists. If you don't like british dogs or college students, maybe this is for you.

English Language of the Week:


This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.

Break up the chatterbox.


Shake up the soundwaves.


On Your Way Out


Assuming you have more free time than I do this weekend, give it a shot and go see "The Social Network". 

But if you even have less time than I do, I've already done everything I can to help you enjoy your weekend.

(Not exactly.)

BuhBye.

-stg

No comments:

Post a Comment