Friday, October 8, 2010

Ready To Friday: Understand Everything Edition


This last week has been ultimately positive, yet stuck in a quagmire of poor health. Which is better than being negative during a spout of good health, I think. 

So condescend to me for a moment as I get back up to speed. It'll take me a bit, so forgive the hiccups.






The Edit


The Essential


  • Sometimes you manage to take a really good photograph, and then someone on the internet comes along and makes it the best photograph I've ever seen.
  • So "The Social Network" came out last weekend (go see it) and this week Mark Zuckerberg has gifted 100 million dollars to the Newark public education system. This is a coincidence, right? That aside, GOOD put together some interesting thoughts on the subject of whether or not it was more than a show and if Zuckerberg could have used that money more wisely to precipitate an improvement where it's needed.

The Politic


  • America is over the Ground Zero Mosque debacle, or at least most of it is, according to Esquire. Turns out we all really didn't give a
  • Shit isn't fairing too well politically, unless you're in the business of bullshit and fear. In which case you might be the largest, most wealthy news corporation in the world. Paul Krugman inspected the subject of Fox News, that very organization, and deliberates on the fact that they don't seem to care that everyone knows how devoted they are to the Republican party, despite their tagline.
  • Now as much as I like rich people, I have a certain affection for Bill Maher's new rule for whiners. Good spirit on him.


The Style



The Culture


  • While lots of people think that Justin Bieber hosting a reboot of Punk'd is terrible on many levels, I think they're misunderstanding that keeping him on basic cable where he can self-destruct publicly and hilariously is really the best thing that can happen to his career right now.
  • Normally I don't post links to xkcd comics, but since the first version of this comic was used by my much-cooler-than-me father as his wallpaper. So I want to be sure all of you have a head start on your cool dads.

Blog of Our Lives


The blogs are the blood stream of my daily internet experience. They're the bread and butter of my clicks and links. Everything I know* I learned from the sources those bloggers provide. So here, I'll provide you with those sources that I have chosen to wrangle up for your benefit. Quality may rise and fall without warning. (*What do I know?)
  • I don't know what to make of The Standard Culture. I seriously don't even know what it is. But I've decided that it's cool. Maybe you can figure it out sooner than I can.
  • VVORK is, clearly, a compilation of specifically strange art in blog form. I like it, like most things that give me a sense of undirected wonderment and confusion.

English Language of the Week:


This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.

I refuse to be a target for optimism.

First point of contention.


On Your Way Out


After competing with the weaknesses of the human body to make it through a seven day cycle, I have a lot to make up for as we all move towards the next week. My list will be twice as long as it normally stands. But why not, right? I do my best work under pressure. 


-stg

No comments:

Post a Comment