Friday, October 22, 2010

Ready To Friday: So Fucking Crest Edition





Hello, I'm going to bed.


The Edit

The Essential

  • So I'm not really the biggest fan of Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" campaign, despite the cause it supports. The heart is definitely right where it should be. I just don't believe things are guaranteed to improve for anyone in any situation, and to say so isn't something I'll automatically cheer for, even if you're doing so for the right reason. Regardless, when I saw Tim Gunn's contribution, I couldn't help but be tugged towards the movement. Then President Obama recorded his own - and so the good has officially outweighed my skepticism. Good show.


The Politic

  • Jon Stewart is, off the top of my head, the most coherent, intelligent and reasonable comedian I know of, on or off the Daily Show. This week he appeared on Larry King Live and spoke with the soon to be retired interviewer about his Rally To Restore Sanity and the current political climate. Nothing against King, but he's become a really lazy host, especially when juxtaposed with someone as sharp and on-the-nose as Stewart.
  • The unfortunately famed Tea Party candidate of Delaware has made a name for having said many an embarrassing gaff in her time, most of which came before she decided to run for Senate. Honestly, I'm a little tired of hearing about what she said 10 years ago on some network show no one has heard of. What gets my attention is what she's saying now. In a debate with Democratic candidate, Chris Coons, she finds herself admitting to not knowing that the separation of church and state is part of the Constitution - the 1st part. 


The Style



The Culture

  • Sam Raimi may be directing a remake of Day of the Triffids. For some people this is "Holy shit!" and for others, perhaps "Holy shit?" 
  • Zach Snyder may be looking for a more middle-aged Superman for his upcoming film - everyone starts thinking Jon Hamm. In related news, a movie might be in the works based off of the Uncharted games - everyone starts thinking Nathan Fillion, even Nathan Fillion. Not that I'm particularly interested in an Uncharted movie, but I'd love to see Fillion star in something again.
  • Conan's new show on TBS is gearing up to be hilarious in the near future. And now the list of his upcoming guests during the first week is out for everyone to see. So, who else is excited for more Jon Hamm? 
  • To coincide with the finale of the fourth season of Man Men, The New York Times interviewed the series creator, Matthew Wiener, to talk about interpretations of the show, how far it's gone - but definitely not where it's going. No one knows that.


Hearing Things


For my own reasons, I've decided to process the music appreciation of my weekly culture bomb into its own section. Hopefully this means you won't miss out on whatever I feel like highlighting here. But it also means it will be much more obvious when I don't have any musical suggestions.


English Language of the Week:


This segment is based around my personal love of the modern english language, where, each week, I'll nominate my favorite phrase, sentence or paragraph that I have personally heard spoken in that time.

Crest - noun. 
- Someone or something so cool that it manifests a radiating brightness.
- A brand of tooth paste.

Example: "He's so crest, I'm awestruck."



On Your Way Out



This week was about figurative housecleaning and literal housemessing. Also, Halloween celebrations will overshadow next week's Readiness, nevertheless I will try not to forget about you. So long as you don't forget about me. 

Don't you, forget about ------------

No comments:

Post a Comment